Pic : Bowl of blackberries
As July 4th approaches, luscious berries begin ripening across the mountains. You don't have to look far because blackberry & raspberry bushes can be seen along most roads and byways. You can pick a few as you are walking in your neighborhood but if you want to pick enough for a cobbler or jam you better get prepared!
Here are a few tips for a happy picking day...
1. Know your area, make sure to find an area with a high concentration of berries.
2. Its going to be hot! Early morning 6-9 AM or after 5 PM won't be as warm.
3. Get prepared!
· Overalls or jeans.
· Long sleeve shirt to protect you from thorns.
· Boots or tennis shoes - for protection and good footing.
· 1 or 2 buckets with handles to carry the berries in.
· A belt to put around your waste that will also be used to carry the buckets. If you have two hands to pick berries with, you are going to accumulate a lot more, a lot faster!
· BUG SPRAY- You are going to need this to try and divert the chiggers away from you. Chiggers love berry bushes and to make you miserable.
A rag dampened with kerosene- this will also make the chiggers
want to avoid you. Just tie it to your belt. Hey, anything is better than frantically itching for a week.
Picking a gallon of berries can take only 1-2 hours depending on your location and the availability of the berries.
Take a friend! It will be a rewarding adventure for you both.